Emerald Eyes - Daniel Keys Moran

This is decidedly geek SF, requiring a warning sticker for "high geek coefficient". For one, the story jumps around in small episodes of as little as two paragraphs long among multiple POVs. Like watching a stop motion vid with the parallel story lines interspersed. Truly dyslexia inducing. For another, it deals with some of the most difficult SF topics to depict in written form --- telepaths, time travel, artificial intelligence --- all in one volume. Add to this a large cast of characters and we have the formula for a challenging read.

What's going for this book? Snazzy action sequences. An epic battle that reads like the script for an X-men movie. Cool gosh-wow tech toys sprinkled throughout. Considering this was written in the 80s, it does not feel dated at all. In particular, the cyber aspects read remarkably like these were written recently. The author states in a postscript that "the first published description of internet addiction occurs in this novel." Quite a feat. I'm certainly glad I came across this book.

I had real difficulty with the author's style for the first half of the book, then relaxed into a comfortable reading progress once the jumping around finally settled down. So maybe I'm not that much of a geek; i.e., I cannot read multiple storylines shuffled together like a deck of cards. On the other hand, I did finish the book.

The book is available online at this site: Immunity, ostensibly with the author's permission.

The titular [b:Emerald Eyes|1262998|Emerald Eyes|Daniel Keys Moran|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1287679437s/1262998.jpg|1251862] refers to the optics of the first "genegineered" telepath, Carl Castanaveras. The book opens as the small army of man-made telepaths achieve their freedom from their military/governmental masters. It closes with a glimpse of the lives of the later generation of natural-born telepaths. Along the way, the author brings in time travelers, cyber life, cyborgs, and more geek candy. I would have been happy if the book ended with the battle of the telepaths and the enhanced Peacekeepers, but the book does one more interesting step with the story of the ultimate thief. This latter is basically a hook for the next book of the series.

I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and more from this author.